Spring has arrived at the Jersey Shore, but before you take your motorcycle out for a ride make sure you don’t skimp on getting the best motorcycle insurance coverage in case you are involved in a motorcycle accident. According to the NJ Department of Law & Public Safety, “As a motorcycle driver, if you’re involved in a motorcycle crash in New Jersey, statistics show that you have an 82% chance of being injured or dying.”
Standard Motorcycle Insurance Policy
This year (2023), a standard motorcycle policy is estimated to cost *$255 a year with the following coverage:
- Bodily Injury Liability coverage of at least $100,000 per person per accident ($300,000 total per accident).
- Property Damage Liability coverage of at least $100,000 per accident.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage of at least $100,000 per person ($300,000 total per accident).
- Collision and Comprehensive coverage. Claims department’s value of motorcycle with $500 deductible.
- If you get hurt, it is your medical insurance that would cover your medical bills. In New Jersey, people injured in car accidents usually have Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits on their own car insurance policies that provide coverage for medical bills. Motorcycle policies do not offer these PIP benefits for the motorcycle rider or passenger.
=> For an additional *$100, you can bump your coverage up to $1 Million for approximately *$355 a year. Or even better put that $100 towards a $1 Million Umbrella policy.
*These are estimates which can change based on the individual’s history and insurance company.
According to the NJ Department of Law & Public Safety:
“From 2012 to 2016, there have been nearly 12,000 crashes in New Jersey involving motorcycles. Motorcyclists are more than 28 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a motor vehicle crash and five times more likely to be injured (NHTSA). The main causes for motorcycle fatalities involved riders that tested positive for alcohol, unsafe speed and driver inattention. There were approximately 2,200 motorcycle drivers involved in crashes in the Garden State in 2016, which resulted in 69 fatalities. If you’re involved in a motorcycle crash in New Jersey, statistics show that you have an 82% chance of being injured or dying (2013 –2017). Every rider’s best defense against an injury is to obey the law: Wear Your Helmet!”
MENNIE & HEIZLER
Proudly representing and obtaining justice for many motorcyclists for 36 years.